Friday, September 19, 2008

ambition... sin or virtue??

A few weeks ago I was in LA lying out on my girlfriend's couch after a fun, yet exhaustive week at Disneyland.

My friend was at work, my daughter was asleep, and so I decided to pop in the DVD, The Other Boleyn Girl, for a little entertainment, R&R, 'me time.' Good movie... but there was one line that rocked my world for about 10.7 seconds. It was when Anne Boleyn's mother states:

"Since when has ambition become a virtue - not a sin?"


%$#*! I never knew it was a sin.


Like many people I know, I have always been ambitious. I mean, for me it's always "doing this, doing that." Going here, 'goal'ing there. Ambition is like having air in my lungs - it gives me a kick in my step, like a bit of lavender oil. Truthfully, it's been a driving force since I did my first 'bucket list' when I was in 7th grade, which read something like:

Travel around the world-

Swim the Great Barrier Reef in Australia- Be a fashion model- Be an oceanographer- Feed the children-Etc.-

Well, I've achieved some of the above, with varying levels of success (which is up to one's own perspective). But those 'bucket lists' are like my shopping lists... they navigate me through my time on earth. Maybe I won't get to all of them, but my drive to achieve them opens up new doors and experiences I may not have considered.


So, going back to ambition. Is it a sin? Well, maybe sin-like, if I trampled over other people, small animals, and children to get to my goals, like how Tonya Harding ruffed up Nancy Kerrington on her way to Olympic Gold. (oh no she didn't! oh yes I did... brings back memories, huh?)

But in Tonya's case, was that a sin or a decision that lead to a lifetime of challenges and lessons that has made her who she is today?

Sometimes I get the odd question like "did you use Rich Men to get the material for your book." (which I can totally understand some people thinking.) Of course, I say NO because after I decided to write my book, I told everyone I dated about my book. And, in almost every case, that would lead to an interesting conversation, in which my dates would give me sound bites and their advice on chapter titles... "No, you should name it this!". And it was actually one of the men I dated who encouraged me to write the book.


So I will continue being ambitious, while doing my best to keep everyone happy and adding 'good ' to the world. (and remember 'good' is relative.)


It was Dr. Wayne Dyer that said, while pointing to his mostly bald head with a few white tufts, "This is A LOT of hair in a bowl of soup."

It's all perspective, baby!!!!!


xoxoxox

Alicia

Love your emails as always!!

BTW...

Join my FB page... http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=562050966

Follow me on Twitter... http://twitter.com/AliciaDunams

No comments: